Best Christian Boarding Schools for Boys
Rebellious boys can be found in even the most loving and supportive families. It’s a common situation, where no matter how hard the parents are trying, the rebellious son keeps returning to the destructive patterns that are often fueled by negative influences in school and social circles. If this situation is happening in your family, it may be time to think about sending your son to a Christian boarding school where he can get a fresh start in a new setting. The best Christian boarding schools for boys provide a supportive environment for your son to learn and grow, not only academically, but also in his relationships with Jesus Christ and with others.
As you begin your search for a Christian boarding school, you will quickly discover dozens of options that you think might work for your family. Each boarding school, though, has its own unique approach to supporting students in education and personal growth. You probably know your son better than anyone, which makes you ideally equipped to choose the best boarding school that will be most likely to facilitate the change you want to see in your son.
How to Pick the Best Christian Boarding Schools for Boys
As you narrow your search, focus in on a few topics that can differentiate schools, and find out how your top boarding school choices approach each of these areas. In addition, consider which topics your family values most and prioritize the schools that align with your needs in these areas. Asking the below questions can help you uncover information to help you paint an accurate picture of what each boarding school is like.
- Academics – What curriculum does the boarding school use? Is the curriculum based on a Christian perspective so it will teach a worldview consistent with your beliefs? Is the instruction structured in traditional classrooms or in more individual pace based formats? If there is classroom instruction, what are the class sizes, what grade levels are in the classroom together, and how do boys in different grades but the same classroom learn what they need to know? What performance indicators can the school provide to demonstrate the effectiveness of their academic programs?
- Spiritual life – How does the boarding school support the spiritual development of students? Are students required to attend chapel services with worship and teaching on a regular basis? Are students required to or given the opportunity to participate in small group Bible studies? How does the Christian boarding school encourage students to spend time in personal Bible reading, prayer, and other practices for spiritual growth? Who will help students along in their spiritual growth, and how will they do that?
- Staff – What is the ratio of students to staff members at the boarding school? What types of specialized staff members, like teachers, counselors, and pastors, are on campus? What training and accreditation does each type of staff member have? How does the school choose and evaluate staff members to ensure that they are supportive of the academic and spiritual mission of the school?
- Affiliation and accountability – Is the boarding school independent, part of a denomination, or part of a larger program like Teen Challenge? If the school is part of a group or network, what oversight or influence does that group or network have on the school’s policies and practices? How well does the school’s formal affiliation match up with your affiliation or beliefs? How can you be confident that the school is on track with your beliefs and the perspective that you want your son to be taught?
- Extracurricular activities – What opportunities do students have for recreation and organized activities outside of the classroom? Are there competitive sports teams, and if so, what sports and where do they compete? Are there opportunities for personal indoor and outdoor recreation? Are there interest-based clubs or groups students can choose to participate in during his free time? Does the school offer vocational training that will help students identify and develop potential career paths?
The Best Christian Boarding Schools for Boys Take a Holistic Approach
In your search for the best Christian boarding schools for your boy, we hope you will consider Gateway Academy for Boys, located in Bonifay, Florida. Gateway Academy is one of just a dozen Teen Challenge schools for boys in the United States, and the holistic approach to healing a boy’s body, mind, and spirit has been successful for decades at schools and facilities across the country.
Although Gateway Academy spent several years structured as a military academy, our current leadership has transitioned the school into a more grace-driven Christian boarding school. Students still definitely have to adhere to rules and boundaries, and they develop a healthy respect for and response to authority figures during their time here. More importantly, though, all of the staff members at Gateway Academy understand that true and lasting change will come from within each student. Boys who come to our Christian boarding school are built up and encouraged to take ownership over their lives and decisions. All of this is done with the understanding that Jesus Christ has the power to transform anyone, no matter where they have been or what they have done.
One unique aspect of our program here at Gateway Academy is our focus on vocational training. It is important for boys to be moving toward careers, not just focusing on classroom learning and getting a high school diploma. Agriculture and farming are a big part of the economy in and around Bonifay, Florida, making them a natural choice of focus for vocational training here. Boys help raise livestock and take a hands-on approach to learning agricultural science as they grow a variety of fruit and vegetable crops. Gateway Academy will be expanding our vocational training offerings in the coming years as well.
We would be happy to tell you more about Gateway and other best Christian boarding schools for boys. We’ll answer any specific questions you might have in your search for the a Christian boarding school. We understand that entrusting your son to another team of people is a big decision, and we want you to have all the information you need to make the right decision. Please send us an email at email@example.com or call us at 850-547-9011 to learn more about how Gateway can help your son.