Therapeutic Boarding Schools for Boys – Gateway Academy
It’s completely normal for teen and pre-teen boys to go through a time of rebellion. This often results in trouble at school and at home, and strained relationships with parents. Thankfully, there are options to help provide support and get your son back on track. Therapeutic boarding schools for boys are also known as emotional growth boarding schools. These schools focus not only on academics, but also on personal development. They can help boys restore healthy relationships with their peers, siblings, parents, teachers, and other authority figures.
Areas of Focus at Therapeutic Boarding Schools for Boys
As a parent, you probably want to know what your son will be getting help with at an emotional growth boarding school. Each school takes a slightly different approach, but they all focus on the same major goals. Therapeutic boarding schools provide a safe and nurturing space to encourage growth in several areas. Parents appreciate that their boys can get help in all of these areas at once. They often find that their sons come back home seeming completely different than when they left!
- Emotional shift – Your son’s rebellious attitude comes from many sources. He may feel lonely, bullied, confused, or scared. Sometimes, it helps to take him out of his usual setting and put him somewhere else. A therapeutic boarding school for boys helps him work on responding in healthy ways to peers and authority figures. Boys learn how to handle their changing emotions. This leads to better relationships with friends, siblings, parents, teachers, coaches, counselors, and others.
- Behavior change – Most parents come in with a list of the behaviors they do not want to be seeing in their son. The school can address all of these! In a therapeutic boarding school, boys are given a fresh start. They get to be in a setting with very clear rules, boundaries, and consequences. Most students quickly learn that good behavior is best for everyone, including themselves. Plus, boys don’t just change their behavior to get through. The emotional growth component of the school helps them truly want to change on the inside.
- Academic recovery – Rebellion at home often leads to boys falling behind in school. Once they are behind, it can be difficult to catch up! That is why therapeutic boarding schools for boys often use a pace-based system. This allows boys to work through school material at their own speed. They have teachers and tutors who can provide help in any areas where students need special attention. The schools can also handle learning difficulties, like ADHD, better than many traditional classrooms. After a semester, many boys are thriving in subjects where they had fallen behind at home.
- Ending substance abuse – At least some students have experimented with drugs and alcohol. Others may have even developed addictions. A therapeutic boarding school is not a drug recovery center, but it can help. The setting is very controlled so boys do not have access to drugs or alcohol. The school can help boys break addictions and bad habits. Boys who have not yet tried drugs or alcohol can’t start at the therapeutic boarding school, either. The other activities at school lead boys to pursue new hobbies and focus on friends. These healthy patterns should stick around when boys return home.
- Developing hobbies – Many boys need to be pointed to fun, new, positive activities. Boarding school is a great place to explore new hobbies and find a new passion. Boys will often rediscover old talents or learn that they love an activity they had never tried before. For example, sports teams are a great outlet for teen boys. They can get their energy out, be part of a team, and learn how to respond well to a coach. Other hobbies boys may find at school include art, creative pursuits, music, or even a potential career.
What Can a Christian Therapeutic Boarding School for Boys Add?
While any boarding school with a compassionate approach is likely to help your son, a Christian boarding school may be even better. The teachers and mentors can point your son to Jesus in each step of his emotional growth. One of the keys to growth is helping a boy find purpose in his life. Knowing Jesus is a great way to gain a sense of purpose! Boys thrive in a Christian boarding school that includes several key features.
- Bible study groups allow boys to learn what the Bible says in a safe and tight-knit setting. Group leaders can help individual boys discover new things about the Bible and answer questions they have about Jesus and Christianity. Boys can also learn from their peers who have been at the school longer and have stronger relationships with Jesus.
- Discipleship meets a boy where he is and walks him through the process of spiritual growth and emotional growth. When he feels like he is truly understood, he is more likely to be willing to open up and be vulnerable. This helps him break through in the areas where he has been struggling.
- Chapel services give boys the chance to worship together. Singing helps them express themselves and better grasp the truth found in the Bible. Speakers at chapel services also bring new ideas to keep boys’ minds engaged in learning more about Jesus.
- Strong Christian teachers and mentors model Christian values and behavior every day. These positive role models play a big part in shaping how boys act as they continue to grow up. Seeing adults living a fulfilling life gives boys something to aim toward.
- Mission trips give boys a chance to act on their faith. Plus, they can give back to others who are less fortunate than themselves. Trips can be to places near or far, but the important part is that they allow the boys to serve others who are in need.
- Parent support resources help parents understand their sons better and know how to respond to them. The emotional growth boys begin at school is likely to continue at home if the whole family is on the same page.
Gateway Academy is a therapeutic boarding school for boys, located in Bonifay, Florida. The Christian boarding school is part of Teen Challenge. This network of schools and programs focuses on holistic change for the mind, body, and spirit. Each staff member, teacher, coach, and counselor at Gateway is committed to helping your son grow in his relationship with Christ and with others.
If you are interested in learning more about Gateway Academy, please get in touch with us today! We would be happy to talk with you and answer any questions you might have.
Call us at 850-547-9011 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be in touch right away. We can help restore hope to your son and your family!